Sunday, June 22, 2014




Grab your torch and pitchforks I guess. There's something that I want to get off my chest.

Today I sat in Relief Society and participated in a lesson about Priesthood. Of course, that lead to the discussion of Ordain Women. I always get nervous about that, so I made my comments and then listened - as I like to do that and then sort out all my thoughts as the hour goes on. This wasn't the first time Ordain Women has been mentioned, but I feel like this was one of the first times that I was involved in a discussion about it.

And I can't tell you how disappointed I was.

First of all, when I see people writing about Ordain Women, I often see how quick they are to say "I'm not with them!"

I'm not with or against anybody, but I do want to say this: I know that the power of the Priesthood is a wonderful thing in my life, and brings me comfort. Without it I could not have been baptized, go to the temple, have a Patriarchal Blessing, etc. etc. I also know that one of the main purposes of the Priesthood, is to serve and assist others, and act in the name of Christ. Men cannot use these for themselves - they cannot lay their hands on their own head to give themselves a blessing, they must go turn to someone else.

But this question of whether women should be able to have the Priesthood has brought up many more questions regarding the role of women in the church. So instead of making any sort of argument for or against OW, I just want to talk about the reactions that I've been seeing concerning the movement.

More than anything, it's really distressing to see the type of "Other-ing" that is taking place. When O.W. gained recognition in 2013, I mostly saw it from men - really vile comments that showed me that misogyny/sexism is alive and well, friends!
(Think something along the lines of "Learn your place and go make me a sandwich." Really sad, but true. I wish I had taken a screenshot, but at the same time, I'm glad I didn't.) But today I experienced it from my fellow Sisters in Relief Society as well, and it really let me down.

There were comments about how "these women squawking down in front of the Conference building" didn't understand the doctrine, and how we couldn't get too upset with them for the things they don't understand. But in the little research I've done, I know that there are so many women apart of the movement who have served missions, gone through the temple, and hold callings in their ward. One girl called them "selfish" for wanting the Priesthood, implying that motherhood is not enough. And knowing that, I just don't know if the girls in my RS were in a place to be making those sort of judgements. There is a difference between not understanding, and holding a different view. And maybe some people apart of OW don't understand doctrine well enough, but I think that can be said for a lot of us. I know I'm no expert on gospel doctrine, but I try. So do you, I bet.

Others argued that the OW "wasn't logical" and just didn't make sense. "I'm so glad I don't have the Priesthood," one girl said. "I don't want that kind of responsibility!"
But it didn't seem like many of them were trying to put themselves in the shoes of the women who do advocate women Priesthood holders. And in that failure to see another's point of view, my RS was distancing themselves farther and farther away from women who are their sisters.

It just made me so uncomfortable to see this not so much as a discussion, but more of an attack - throwing people that they didn't even know under the bus. I understand if they disagree with the movement - I'm perfectly fine with that. But to see all of these comments coming from a place of judgement more than Christ-like love and concern was really disheartening.

I wanted to say something like, "Hey guys, can we settle down here with the bad vibes?" and I was trying to think of a way to say it without getting upset, when another girl raised her hand and basically said the same thing - that we need to stop being so harsh. I was really grateful for her bravery in a room of other girls who were voicing strong opinions.

But man. If the human inability to empathize with one another doesn't disappoint me, I don't know what else does.
Christ loves and welcomes all - even those who are struggling with unpopular questions, and we shouldn't fear those who see things differently. We've got righteous judgement and all that. Feel free to disagree with people who advocate for OW, gay marriage, Obama's policies - whatever it might be - just...do it with love. Pray for understanding and compassion. We (members of the church) are all trying to accomplish the same goal. People who aren't members - they deserve love too. So let's help each other out because life isn't easy, yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment